Sunday, April 7, 2024

“(You’re) Having My Baby” by Paul Anka with Odia Coates (1974)

One person’s view:  “If you replaced him knocking her up with him slugging her in the jaw, the lyrics wouldn't have to change much – it’s the same sort of impassive and impersonal look at the situation.” – DonKarnage @ Rate Your Music

The public’s view:  1.50 / 5.00, the worst #1 hit of the 1970s

There are two #1 hits in pop music history that have been so widely ridiculed that I can think of very little else to say about them here.  One of them is “(You’re) Having My Baby”.  (I’ll mention the other one when we get to 1985.)  In 2023, nearly 49 years after its release, this Paul Anka record still held such infamy that Reddit users ranked it as the absolute worst chart-topper in history.

The overriding complaint with Anka’s song is that it is extraordinarily self-centered.  It reduces the conception and gestation of a new life into nothing more than a means of pleasing the male singer.  The song has been described as “obnoxious”, “disgusting”, “vile”, and “garbage.”

It’s hard to see how this record could be any more offensive – but I’ll try.  Here are my alternate lyrics for all of those millions of people who hate the original:

You’re having my baby
Along with a side of onion rings and a Pepsi
You’re having my baby
What a crazy way of tellin’ me that you’re hungry 

You didn’t have to eat it
You could barely chew it
But then you asked the waiter for a knife
And you cut right through it
Whoa, you’re having my baby

Kind of makes you appreciate Paul Anka’s version, doesn’t it?  Now please pass the ketchup.

No comments:

Post a Comment